Finally got some good pictures of it
I finished this back in August, and was working on it on-and-off for about a year. It is also my first sewing project that I've ever taken seriously. Here are the details:
- I drafted the pattern from my measurements, using a set of online instructions from Sam's DarkLeather (darkleather.com).
- It's a Victorian-style underbust.
- It has four layers: burgundy cotton fashion fabric, two denim/canvas interlayers, and white cotton lining.
- It has 16 plastic bones in total (double bones around the panel seams, and single bones at the edges of each half).
- Binded with shimmery satin ribbon, all hand-stitched.
- It has 22 grommets, set with a hammer.
- It's laced with a shoelace, because I don't have real laces for it yet...
I made some major mistakes, like incorporating in too much of the seam allowance (makes it too big for me). I originally drafted it so there'd be a two-inch gap at the back, and it closes all the way shut (even overlaps a bit). I also didn't finish some of the inside edges properly. Sewing in the lining as one piece was a bad idea, too. But all-in-all, this project has taught me more than anything else I've ever created. I know better for next time